[Geany] Problems when "no space left on device"

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Apr 27 09:33:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:32:40 -0500, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
<yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:34 AM, FD Cami <francois.cami at free.fr>
> wrote:
>
> >  It may be that one way to do it is :
> >  * move "file" to "file~"
> >  * save memory buffer to "file"
> >  * remove "file~"
>
> It seems that in some cases this would actually make
> the situation worse, e.g.if there is just enough room
> for 'file', but not enough for 'file' + '~file'.
>
> IMO it is not so critical to retain the information in
> the disk file, since the user was trying to overwrite it
> anyway. More important is to make the user fully aware
> that the operation failed. This is one place where I think
> the tiny message on the status bar is not sufficient.
>
> Geany should display a prominent warning dialog, maybe even
Yes, this is a great idea. I'll add one.

> followed by a save-as dialog to allow the user to save the
I don't like this too much, IMO it's better when the message in the
shown dialog suggests the user to save the file at another place.