[Geany] Problems when "no space left on device"

FD Cami francois.cami at xxxxx
Sat Apr 26 11:45:19 UTC 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:34:49 +0200
FD Cami <francois.cami at free.fr> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:12:17 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > yesterday an user reported that Geany behaves badly when there is no
> > free disk space on the disk where the current file should be saved.
> > That is, when you are editing a file in Geany, meanwhile your disk runs
> > out of free space (extensive logging, copying large files, some
> > process gone bad, ...) and you then save the file in Geany, it gets
> > overwritten and the file is emptied.
> > This is indeed bad.
> > And there seems to be no easy way to fix it.
> >
> > The only solution which comes to my mind would be to check for
> > available disk space before trying to write the file. Unfortunately,
> > there seems to be no portable way of doing this.

This does not work everytime, as far as I know there still could be a
minute chance of another process writing stuff and filling up the disk
before geany manages to write the file to disk.

> It may be that one way to do it is :
> * move "file" to "file~"
> * save memory buffer to "file"
> * remove "file~"
> Since this does not scale very well for big files, there should be some
> on/off option in preferences.

I am going to work on that, unless a better idea comes up.