[Geany] Feature request: Highlight all occurences

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Apr 19 08:04:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:34:03 +0200, Dominic Hopf
<dmaphy at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 18.04.2008, 16:46 +0200 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:30:51 +0200, Harold Aling <h.aling at home.nl>
> > wrote:

> > > It'll also be great if the search toolbar would support
> > > "highlight all matches"!
> >
> > Patches are welcome. But this would again need another button or any
> > other kind of GUI addition to make use of it.
>
> I think it would be a good idea, to make the "hilight all matches" the
> default behaviour. If more than one matches are found, geany would
> hilight them too. This wouldn't need an additional element on the
> toolbar.

Highlight all matches using the incremental search could be annoying
(and maybe even slow, not tested) because especially when typing the
first letters of a search term it's likely to get many matches and then
they get less. This would cause many highlights and while typing ahead
these highlights are removed again, it could looks like flickering in
some way.
Anyway, I agree with Nick Mark/highlight matches should remain in the
usual Find dialog and only there.