[Geany] auto completion with variables and inside strings

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Apr 18 14:06:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:56:55 +0200, "Jochen J. Ulbricht"
<j.ulbricht at vidat.eu> wrote:

> >> Hi @ all,
> >> is there a posibility to search in all word of an document?
> >> there are no matches for words inside strings ( sql-queries f.e. )
> >> or php-variables
> >>

> > I'm not sure whether I'm understanding you right.
> > You want an auto completion for "bar" from the following example:
> >
> > <?php
> > $foo = "bar";
> > ?>
> > Then Geany should suggest "bar" in the auto completion list?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Enrico
> >
> Yes, if I've got let s say 2 queries:
>
> $Query1 = "SELECT ColWithLongNameAndMeaning1,
> ColWithLongerNameAndMeaning2 FROM ".$tblWhatEver.";";
>
> And I write $Query2 = "SELECT CONCAT( Col
>
> then it would be nice if auto completion would find both of the
> previous ColNames ( and what ever else begins with "Col".
> This is the easiest way to find out ( without scrolling 500s of lines
> up ) if I write the col or variable correct.
>
> In Kate it is like this, but Kate does not support custom definitions
> of function setc. for auto completion. So I ' ve spent the whole
> night to customize the syntaxhighlighting ( colors ) and tags and now
> I do not now if - and when how to get this work in Geany :(

Ok, so this is like the feature of Kate to auto complete of each word
found in the current file. This already was requested some time ago
(therefore I know Kate can do this, never tried it) and it seems you
additionally want to set a filter.
Geany can't do both things.

The auto completion of all words in the current document should be
possible to realise as a plugin, there just must be one to write the
code. The filter should not be that hard to implement afterwards.

But as I don't like this (I just have no use case for this), I won't
work on this. Sorry.