[Geany] possibly interesting competition

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Apr 11 13:42:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:09:13 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:28:46 -0400
> >
> > "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > 1. Using an embedded text search box (like Geany's Toolbar Search
> >  > field) instead of a dialog box. (Scribes does this as well.)
> >
> >  If it is something like firefox search I don't think it have much
> > benefits over dialog box. The only reason to have such thing if you
> > are using tiled window manager like "awesome" or "ion3".
> >

> If the editor pops up a dialog box, it tends to obscure the text that
> you're working on.
You can move the dialog box ;-).
I really think the toolbar search field is enough for fast searching
(yes, reverse incremental searching will come, be patient).
For any more advanced searching there is the dialog.
I don't think we need to change anything at this point.

> >  > 2. Multiple editing panes with minimal distraction. (The photo
> >  > on the blog shows 5 panes, both monitors full-screen). (I
> >  > realize that split-pane is a feature for Geany that's been
> >  > requested and discussed in the past.) Of course, Geany already
> >  > has a nice View menu item to toggle extra widgets.
> >
> >  It would be nice to see this in geany, but generaly panes are not
> > very usefull in normal editing. Exception if it is some kind diff
> > tool.
> >

> Actually, many users find this feature *very* useful (Ross points out
> some good examples for why this is in another reply).
Yesterday, I told this to somebody on IRC (you?), Geany just wasn't
designed for multiple editing panes (mainly because I don't like them
very much) and so, adding them now causes some work to get it working.

> I forgot to mention though that, as has been mentioned here before,
> you can run geany with the `-i` option to get a whole separate
> instance (and thus have 2 windows side-by-side), but the problem is
Of course, this is not the same but it gets very close to it.
IIRC programs like devilspie can restore window positions between
sessions, kwin(KDE's window manager) probably can it, too.

> you still have two full sidebars. Even at 1600x1200 you can't
You know you can show/hide particular widgets as you want.

> comfortably get two vertical panes on the screen at the same time
> without them overlapping.
Hmm, the difference between in horizontal space between split panes and
two Geany instances is mostly the sidebar which can be hidden if
necessary and the window borders. The window borders can be adjusted by
the GTK theme, IIRC.

> >  > 3. Looks like Sublime has some things in common with TextMate.
> >  > The blog indicates it can read TextMate's "syntax files" (not
> >  > sure exactly what that means). TextMate is pretty popular right
> >  > now on Mac OS X. I've seen some pretty neat colorschemes on
> >  > TextMate, many of which are user-contributed. Might be pretty
> >  > interesting if Geany, TextMate, and Sublime could all
> >  > interchangably use the same colorscheme files. Good way to get a
> >  > lot of free colorschemes. :)
> >
> >  This is something totaly useless, at least for me. Who needs a lot
> > of colorschemes? Only one but really good is needed.
> >

> Trouble is, everyone's "one really good one" is different. ;)
Sure.
Multiple available colour schemes might be useful especially for new
users so they can choose one. But
a) to make this possible in an easy and user-friendly way, some code
rewrite is necessary which won't take place in the next two weeks
b) to be honest I don't care much about compatibility with any
non-free programs (regarding the interchangably).

> >  > Also, Sublime has a pretty neat ultra-zoomed-out file view that
> >  > might just be a novelty, or might be useful.
> >
> >  Mmm, how this feature can be any usefull in real life?
>
> Not sure. Never tried it. Might be useful for mouse users? You can
> probably grab the rectangle there and drag it up and down to scroll to
> easily-recognizable parts of your file.
IMO this is more a job for external programs to increase accessibility.
At least this is no reason for any DirectX crap in a text editor, IMHO.
There are little programs which provide some kind of magnifier to zoom
in in particular parts of the screen content. This is IMO the way it
should go.