[Geany] Couple of suggestions

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Sep 30 17:01:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:08:24 +1300, Rob van der Linde
<robvdl at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> 1. Project Manager
>
> One of the recent features I have noticed is the new project manager.
> It's nice, but I think there is something missing, I will try to
> elaborate...
>
> Now prior to using Geany, I was a Windows user and used an editor
> called Crimson Editor. Crimson Editor also had a project manager, but
> it had something more. If you started or opened a project, you had a
> "Project" tab on the left (at the moment Geany only has a Symbols and
> Open Files tab here). Under the project tab, you could add files that
> belong to your project, or add groups (folders). Double clicking on
> one of these items, would open that file. This was very handy when
> managing large projects with quite a few files.
>
> The project files themselves were just saved as XML. Another handy
> feature (which as I recall was turned on by default), is that it would
> open the last project every time you opened Crimson Editor, including
> any open files, it would associate the open files with the project
> too, so also save this information inside the project file. Opening a
> project meant it would open any files you had open last time you
> where working with this project.

Well, maybe some of these suggestions will be added sometime. SOme of
then are already on the TODO list.

> 2. Inner Classes
>
> [...]
>
> The problem with this, is I get multiple "Admin" items in my Symbol
> tab on the left in Geany. It's not a real problem or anything, but it
> could maybe be improved. Maybe, having Admin show as a sub item of
> each base class would be a bit better.
Well, I don't want to implement this. IMO, the effort to implement this
would be much higher than the use of it. It would probably cause heavy
changes in the included tagmanager code and needs a lot of work to make
the current code working with nested tags.

> First one is, the icon on the close button on tabs doesn't seem very
> nice. Compare this for example with GEdit, or pretty much any other
> GTK application, they seem to use the icon from the current icon
> theme on the close button. If I change between Tango and Human icon
> sets, this changes with it. Geany only appears to be using a black
> cross at the moment.
We could use a GTK stock icon so the icon would change when changing
the global icon theme. But in general these icons are much larger than
the current one, so the notebook tabs would become quite larger and
people may think of wasting space because of these big icons. The
current cross is probably not very nice but it is at least small.
Any suggestions are welcome.

> Second one, is the new icons added to the Symbols are nice and all,
> but they don't blend in very well with the rest of my desktop. It
> would be really nice to see them more Tango-ified.
Yes, it would be nice. But it seems there are no appropriate Tango
icons available.