[Geany] Geany wishlist

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at xxxxx
Tue Sep 25 21:44:42 UTC 2007

On 25/09/2007, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 24/09/07 22:28:40, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > On 24/09/2007, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > On 24/09/07 14:36:55, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > BTW, can geany find a tag definition from the tags list but when the
> > file isn't loaded?
>
> No - the global tags file currently doesn't store the filename.

It would actually be useful. I do a lot of source navigation on Linux
but I can't load all the files, I prefer to only load those I need.

I got a workaround which seems to be OK so far: generate the Linux
tags with 'ctags -n' (symbol names and line numbers) and define a
custom command to invoke a script that greps the tags file and invoke
geany with the files and line number it found:

find-tag.sh /absolute/path/to/tags %s

The find-tag.sh script is attached.

It would be nice if geany remembers the previous position when a new
file is opened (either via menu or geany invocation) or when switching
to a different buffer is a result of a different geany invocation.

The custom command is really useful, maybe geany should allow more
than one (and maybe allow them to be named).

Regards.

--
Catalin