[Geany] Repeat: Feature-Request: Different DISPLAY and EDIT tab widths / 4 space indent

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Sep 7 15:34:12 UTC 2007

On 09/07/2007 09:54:33 AM, Walery Studennikov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm very fond of Geany, but there is still one big inconvenience
> for me (and for most people using 4-spaces indent):
>
> Lyrical digression:
>     The standard indentation width for Perl (see perlstyle) is 4
> spaces.
>     Most of the CPAN modules are written using this rule.
>
> In Geany it is VERY inconvenient to use 4-space indentations.
> If I change TAB width to 4 spaces then all tabs are DISPLAYED
> as 4 spaces.
> So, well-formatted documents, created assuming standard 8-space tabs,
> becomes twisted and hardly readable.
> So, I can't just set 4-spaces (or any other value besides 8)
> as tab width in Geany.
>
> It will be very convenient if there will be 2 separate settings
> for DISPLAY and EDIT tab width.
>
> So, I can leave DISPLAY TAB WIDTH 8 spaces
> and set EDIT TAB WIDTH to 4 spaces.

Sorry you didn't get a reply last time.

I'm not sure how to implement this cleanly. I notice (maybe from a
comment on SF.net) that notepad++ supports this:

2.0.17 (released July 24, 2007)
  - Indent size can be specified separately from tab width

This is interesting because it also uses the Scintilla 1.74 editing
component, like Geany.

I don't have time to work on this, so we need someone to find out how
it's done and/or write a patch for any progress on this.

Regards,
Nick