[Geany] default keybindings, revisited

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Wed Sep 5 20:57:51 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:37:40 +0100, Nick Treleaven
> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > > By the way, as long as we're revisiting keyboard shortcuts,
> > > I think it makes more sense to use Ctrl-{Up,Down} to go up
> > > and down by paragraph (instead of Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-], which I
> > > just now notice aren't listed in the "Help --> Keyboard
> > > Shortcuts" dialog).
> >
> > (That's because they're fixed keybindings.)
>
> "Unfixed"

Heh. :)

> in SVN r1854. They are now changeable.

This is very nice. I just set scroll up-/down-by-line to Alt-{Up,Down}
and it feels very natural for Geany (IMO). Ctrl for moving the cursor,
Alt for moving the GUI works well for me, thanks.

In fact, while you're at it, if you want to round out the key combos,
you might also consider adding commands to scroll the window
horizontally. With Alt-{Left,Right} attached to those commands, they'd
go well with Alt-{Up,Down} for moving the view around in 2 dimensions.

> I don't like to use Ctrl-{Up,Down} for scrolling by paragraphs because
> I guess it's more rarely used in Geany than e.g. scrolling by lines but
> at least, now it is user configurable.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. I see you just enabled users to change key
combos for scrolling the window line-by-line, which is very nice
(thanks!). Did you also enable users to configure which keys do
up-/down-by-paragraph? Note, I'm happy using Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-], and
I'm guessing most american/english users are happy too -- I only
mention options about changing those since (A) I thought
Ctrl-{Up,Down} would be more consistent, and (B) you mentioned they
were difficult to hit on a german keyboard.

---John