[Geany] autocomplete terminology confusion

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Oct 22 11:46:38 UTC 2007

On 20/10/07 15:43:33, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:44:01 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 10/19/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > So my suggestion is to rename the current construct completion
> > > completely to e.g. "code snippets" or something else.
> >
> > My guess is that lots of folks will use them for things other than
> > code, so maybe just "snippets" would do; as in, "Hit Tab to
> activate
> > the snippet for the preceeding bit of text". Then you'd find
> yourself
> > referring to "filetype-specific snippets" for those different
> sections
> > in the config file.
> But why not? IMO it fits the actual behaviour more than auto
> completion.

I think either code snippets or snippets is OK. Alternatively maybe
code templates. I see that they can be used for anything, but I would
guess they are mainly used for code completion.

> > Also, I'm guessing you'd want to rename ~/.geany/autocomplete.conf
> > ~/.geany/snippets.conf, as well as purge any mentions of
> "autocomplete
> This is quite inconvenient, so we should have done this before the
> 0.12
> release.

We could look for the snippets.conf files first, and if one can't be
found, then check for the old autocomplete.conf files.

Regards,
Nick