[Geany] failing to compile 0.12 pre

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Oct 15 13:32:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:32:52 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > > I got this error compiling 0.12 pre:
> > >
> > > Making all in po
> > > make[2]: Entrando no diretório `/var/tmp/geany-0.12pre/po'
> > > file=`echo be | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
> > >           && rm -f $file &&  -o $file be.po
> > > /bin/sh: -o: not found
> > > make[2]: ** [be.gmo] Erro 127
> > > make[2]: Saindo do diretório `/var/tmp/geany-0.12pre/po'
> >

> It seems to be from these lines in po/Makefile.in.in:
>
> .po.gmo:
>         file=`echo $* | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
>           && rm -f $$file && $(GMSGFMT) -o $$file $<
>

> Perhaps we should add a ./configure test to prevent this, it does
> seem a confusing error message. But what would we check for? I
> couldn't work out what $(GMSGFMT) should be.
I'm not sure. ./configure itself checks for msgfmt and in my generated
po/Makefile $GMSGFMT is set to /usr/bin/msgfmt (same as $MSGFMT). I
have no clue why it wasn't set on Rodrigo's system.

> > Make sure you have installed the gettext and intltool packages as
> > well
> > as their dev packages. Which distribution do you use?
>
> Is intltool really necessary for building the .tar.gz?
It seems it is not necessary. The used intltool-merge script is bundled
in the tarball, so there is probably no need for having intltool itself
installed on the target system. At least, I just uninstalled intltool
locally and did a successfully configure && make && make install of
the 0.12 tarball.