[Geany] Post 0.12 feature requests...

Harold Aling h.aling at xxxxx
Fri Oct 12 08:05:28 UTC 2007

Dear devs,

First of all, congratulations on the release of Geany 0.12! Another
milestone set! Me == happy user!

A collegue of mine checked Geany 0.12 into OpenBSD yesterday! [1]

I do have a couple suggestions for the upcoming 0.13 release:

Interface
* "File->New instance" opens a new Geany window (like geany -i does)
* "Document->Strip training spaces" manually strips trailing spaces
* Upon close, move file to the top of the 'Recent files' list for easy
reopening
* GTK recent documents support (GTK 2.10+?)
* GTK print dialog support (GTK 2.10+?)
* 'toggle' keys for the message window
  - VTE Example (F4):
    o If message window open, show VTE
    o If not open, open message window and show VTE
    o If open and showing VTE, close message window

Symbol autocompletion
* Show icons in the list (like in the 'Symbol list')
* Configure option to define the number of characters to be typed before
opening the completion list (now: 4 my pref: 2)

Editor
* Show function call for local functions as tip, just like the predefined.
* Only show trailing spaces in an error-like color (light red?)

All time favorite 'power' features (big projects->far future)
* Color schemes (I want darkness!)
* Split screen (both horizontal & vertical)
  - Real time diff viewer between split screens
* File browser sidebar
* Configurable sidebars (Drag? tabs to left or right sidebar)

This should be enough for now ;)

Cheers!

-H-

[1] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/devel/geany/