[Geany] 3 bugs in geany

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Nov 22 16:17:02 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:00:32 +0200, "Ana Conda"
<red.anaconda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for this great editor! I  love it, but have 3 problems with it.
>
> I have encountered 3 annoying things in geany.
> 1. Geany fails to save a .cpp file if there is a "€" sign in it! The
> error message that it gives is:
> "An error occurred while converting the file from UTF-8 in
> "ISO-8859-1". The file remains unsaved.
> Error message: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input"
> This problem vanishes if I remove the € signs from the file.
As Andreas already mentioned, you can't save an Euro sign with
ISO-8859-1 because this charset doesn't contain this character. This is
not a bug in Geany rather a feature.

> 2. Not sure if this is a bug, but it IS annoying as hell.. If I open a
> file which I have forgot to "mark" (give me read/write rights). And I
> try to save my changes the saving fails (ofcourse), but what is
> annoying  is that if I THEN give myself the read/write permissions,
> geany still refuses to save the changes. ie. geany doesn't check if
> writing is possible when saving. It seems to remember the original
> permissions .  There are many editors which allow you to save  after
> giving rw permissions..
I can't reproduce this. If the file you want to open has no read
rights, you can't open it at all. If the file has no write permissions,
you can't save it, obviously. But once the file is open in Geany and
you change the permissions e.g. by "chmod 640 /path/to/file" and then
save it in Geany it works fine, at least for me.

> 3. This probably has something to do with using files through
> sambamount, but if I open a file, and modify it and save the changes
> then after a few minutes geany will ask:
> "The file 'KakkospokerGfxDll.cpp' on the disk is more recent than
> the current buffer. Do you want to reload it?"
This might be related to different system times of the host where the
remote filesystem is mounted from and your host. Geany compares the
file modify time(current mtime of the file on disk with the stored
mtime of the last check). Maybe synchronising the system times on both
hosts may help. If not, we can add a pref to disable this check.