[Geany] More Features

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Sun Nov 18 23:30:02 UTC 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 5:43 PM, Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:
> John Gabriele wrote:
>
> > Yes, I do think putting Geany's ease of use together with Emacs' key
> > bindings would be a great combination. :)
>
> Agreed ... do you have an idea to what kind of interface we may need to
>    make these changed from an plugin ?

Nope. I haven't done anything yet with Geany's plug-in system.
Actually, I've been holding out hope that someone writes a Python
plug-in for it -- similar to Jeff's nice Lua plug-in. Nothing against
Lua, but I already know Python, and currently, the next extension
language in my queue to learn is elisp.

> > Emacs, of course, makes use of the Alt keys heavily. For Geany to be
> > able to provide Emacs key bindings, you'd need to first shut off all
> > (or most) current Alt key bindings, including ones that open menus. No
> > idea how easy or difficult this would be. I remember hearing Enrico
> > mention previously that "some" GTK-related key bindings could not be
> > remapped. I don't know the details of that though.
>
> Would it help to be able to remap all the existing key bindings ? That
> way the user also may be able to edit it manually afterwards.
>
> Is so, would it not be necessary to be able to keep two key combinations
> too like "ctrl-x ctrl-s" ?

I think that if there were an Emacs key-binding-compatibility plug-in,
the goal should be to make it as authentic as possible. The "two key
combinations" (that is, using prefix keys) is an important component
of the bindings. They actually hierarchically organize commands quite
nicely. Any anyway, if Geany were to have Emacs bindings, I'm guessing
that the point would probably be to allow current Emacs users to
easily move between Emacs and Geany (thus it would be beneficial to be
as similar as possible).

---John