[Geany] GTK printing support

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Nov 17 17:26:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

in SVN r2050 I added native GTK 2.10 printing support. It is available
once you build Geany against GTK 2.10 or above and run it with GTK 2.10
or above.

Attached is a print preview to show how it looks like for the people
who can't or don't want to test it.

Current limitations:
- It doesn't work at all with non-monospace fonts. The current code
relies on a constant character width. Maybe this will change in the
future but it would be a lot of work. There are two ways to workaround
this:
a) detect the widest character in the used font and use it as the
general character width. This would probably result in a less pretty
page layout.
b) get the character width for each single printed character and use it
once a character is added to the page

- It doesn't work well on Windows:
 * The page header is a filled black rectangle instead of just a frame.
 * The characters don't start at the same line height.
 * Between characters there are small grey vertical lines.
I don't know exactly what is causing the problems on Windows, it is
exactly the same code as on non-Windows systems. But maybe some of the
problems are related to my testing. I didn't test the printing on
Windows with a real printer, only with a PDF printer[1] to convert the
printed page into a PDF file.
If anyone wants to test it on Windows, any feedback is very welcome.
On Linux and other non-Windows systems it should work fine.

Additional note for Windows users:
To compile the current SVN code with GTK 2.10 or above(to be exactly
even with GTK 2.8 but there it doesn't matter) on Windows, you have to
specify "GTK210=1" on the command line to the make command, e.g.
C:\geany>make GTK210=1
This is necessary because we need to link the binary against
libpangocairo and libcairo but these librariers only exist with GTK

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/