[Geany] autocomplete terminology confusion

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Nov 4 10:28:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 16:53:57 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11/2/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >
> > We should get a resolution for this.
> >

> One area that may lead to confusion is the name used for when you want
> to complete a symbol (like the name of a class or something). I
> suggest you specifically use the term "symbol completion" (rather than
> "autocomplete") for this feature.
>
> That is, Geany always offers symbol symbol completion via Ctrl-Space,
> but you should be able to enable "automatic symbol completion" in the
> prefs, thus making Geany automatically pop up that list of choices
> while you're typing a symbol name that it recognizes.
>
> I think the term "autocomplete" is best left reserved for cases where
> Geany adds characters to your file for you automatically while you
> type, such as:
>
> 1. XML tag autocompletion, and
> 2. Harold's idea of an option to have Geany automatically finish your
> opening quotes and brackets.
>
> So, in the Preferences dialog, the Editor tab, it might look like:
>
> **Autocomplete**
> [x] XML tag autocomplete
> [x] quote autocomplete
> [x] bracket autocomplete
>
> **Other completion**
> [x] automatic symbol completion

I agree, sounds good to me. My idea for the lower part of the Editor
tab:
**Completions**
[x] XML tag autocomplete
[x] quote autocomplete
[x] bracket autocomplete
[x] automatic symbol completion
Row of symbol completion list: ____

And instead of the current behaviour the row spin button won't be
disabled if automatic symbol completion is disabled because the list
still can be shown when using Ctrl-Space.