[Geany] Build on Windows

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Nov 2 12:52:21 UTC 2007

On 02/11/07 12:34:23, Tim Tassonis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just noticed that build is now enabled on Windows.

Yes, I thought getting some kind of build support would be good, but it
probably needs some tweaking.

> make seems to work, but I think there is an issue with plain compile:
>
> I created a hello.c and invoked compile, which resulted in the
> following
> output:
>
> gcc -Wall -c "hello.c" (in directory d:\dev\hell)
> gcc: "hello.c": Invalid argument
> gcc: No input files
> Compilation finished
>
> What seems to happen is that geany somehow "overquotes" the filename,
> as
> I get the same result, when on cmd.exe, when I type:
>
> gcc -Wall -c "\"hello.c\""
>
> If I type
>
> gcc -Wall -c "hello.c"
>
> It works.
>
> I assume therefore that on windows, gcc is not called from a shell,
> but
> directly with exec, where the quotes are not being removed.
>
> Tried to fix this myself, but I couldn't find the relevant bits in
> build.c.

At the moment the command line is just split up on every space, so
filenames with spaces won't work (although paths will). The quotes
become part of the filename. A workaround is to remove the quotes from
the compile & build commands for the filetype you want to use. But of
course the code could/should be improved to support quotes.

Regards,
Nick