[Geany] Improve project support

Michal Kurgan michal.kurgan at xxxxx
Thu May 24 16:57:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007 12:57:06 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Well, I'm not sure yet what is necessary.
> I was too quick to reply in my last email.
>
> I am unsure about your example for the run command. If you're running
> make, you should use the normal Make command, with the project base
> path set to "/path/to/project/.cmake".

Better do not change base paths in geany (this is done now, but it would be
better to not change current behaviour and complicate things more). For make
it's best to use "-C" switch with path supplied.
Example run command was about _cmake_ command not _make_. ;-)

> The only reason why you might not want that is because then the project run
> command will be run with that path as the current working directory, but
> probably this doesn't matter too much. (You can use full paths or ../ in
> the run command as a workaround). The run command is intended for running
> the script or executable you just built.

Yes, in example it initializes build system (cd .cmake && cmake ..).

> Anyway, even if you do want to use the run command for now, I don't
> think there is any need for %p. The base path is used for the current
> working directory, so you can just use:
> make -C .cmake <target>

True, project run command works now. I have only problem with make build and
compile commands. Problem with run command is that output is not parsed for
errors in compilation as process is spawned in external terminal.

> Sorry I didn't reply with this earlier.
>
> I will add run command %e and %f support, but really it needs some code
> refactoring, so maybe it will get done in the next week. So just use
> full paths for now.

No problem.
For now i run geany with special environmental variables and use them in run
and compile dialogs like "make -C $VAR/.cmake".

> Regards,
> Nick

Maybe whole thing is a bit unclear now so i will summarize this request.
 * add support for %p variable in project run dialog
 * add project Run and Compile commands that would override these global
   commands and support %p variable.

I also looked at build.c sources and see there many "magic", like adding
additional flags or working directory changes. This probably complicate
implementation so no need to hurry. Geany "even" in current state is
great. :-)

--
Michal Kurgan