[Geany] remote source editing

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at xxxxx
Tue May 1 19:10:52 UTC 2007

On 4/28/07, Thomas Stover <thomas at wsinnovations.com> wrote:

> >From: "Alexandre Moreira" <alexandream at gmail.com>
> >Subject: Re: [Geany] remote source editing
> >
> >Is it really needed to execute the commands as they are in the remote
> >system? If there are no version problems between your local machine
> >and the remote one, I think you would be better off with a sshfs or
> >some other means for mounting remotely available directories to your
> >directory tree and SSHing to the remote host inside geany terminal
> >window.
> >
> >Hope this helps,
> >Alexandre Moreira.
> >

> Hmm.. not sure that I'm following you all the way on that one. Lets say
> you have box A setup with all the crazy details for development of a
> project. Then you find yourself at a different location able to sit down
> at box B for a few hours to work. All I'm saying is that you can just
> install geany on box B also, use sshfs to mount the remote directory, in
> the VTE ssh into the console of the remote machine, and use a script as
> described to remotely run your make commands. The answer to your
> question "Is it really needed to execute the commands as they are in the
> remote system?", is often yes. The most simple example would be if box B
> did not have the required development tools installed on it. Sure I can
> type make [target] inside my ssh session in the VTE to get make to run
> over there, but when you do a make from geany's toolbar it highlights
> the build output and lets you click on the lines to jump to errors.

Well, I see your point. But I still don't think Geany developers would
add such a complex system on its system (based only on the fact that
they've denied it like two times already in previous requests, I may
be wrong).

One possible alternative would be having geany passing its command
calls through a script that wraps the built in command (which would be
useful, for instance, when talking about the execution of commands in
a windows platform). Together with sshfs (or
whatever-remote-connection-method-fs you wanna use) it could pretty
much handle all the use cases you described, it would be a simple
elegant evolution of the system you're already using anyways.

That way a user could overwrite those scripts to call the commands on
remote hosts.. users could even make (and share hehe) higher level
scripts with configuration files reading from users home directory so
it would be (semi) transparent for Geany how it executes the commands
in each environment and the user would still have this option.

But, as you guys must have noticed from my small contributions to this
list, I am a modularity freak so, I don't really know if you'll like
this idea.

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.