[Geany] before Geany...

Luzius Thoeny lucius.antonius at xxxxx
Wed Mar 14 07:17:26 UTC 2007

Enrico Tröger wrote:

> I'm interested in, what editor/IDE did you (all, not only John) use
> before you got know of Geany?

UltraEdit was great, which I used on “that other OS”...

At work it's Jedit for me - lots of good plugins, and a nifty plugin
manager. It starts up slow, though.

On Linux it was mainly Kate, which is really good BUT has lots of KDE
dependencies. I tried emacs and found out why people call it an OS, not
an editor :O) I also tried gvim, which I think is one of those things
that are awesome if you grew up with it, but should not even bother
otherwise because it will you take you *ages* to get as productive as
with standard editors, which is frustrating. (what the ...? i have to
figure out how to get to edit mode before i can even type a letter? :)

~luzi