[Geany] None-type colours - bug or feature? + split page?

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Mar 9 17:38:16 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/2007 03:55:44 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:38:18 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Oooh. Another feature that would be handy. I got used to
> > > split-window
> > > in Emacs (and jEdit too) and now I'm a bit spoiled. :)
> >
> > I really don't like it. Yesterday, Tim Tassonis mentioned "We don't
> > want another emacs, do we?" ;-).
> >
> > Well, I'm not completely against the split-window feature but I don't
> > see a reasonably way to implement it beside the current way of tab
> > positioning(read: the notebook tabs).
>
> I've thought about this before, but not investigated it in detail. I
> think the feature would be very useful, and there may be a way of
> implementing it so it doesn't complicate the interface too much.
>
> Scintilla has support for multiple views of a document, so perhaps
> there could be an optional pane next to the notebook window, with
> something like a right click menu to select which document to view in
> the extra pane.
>
> But this is still just an idea, I'm not certain about it, and for me
> there are other things that take priority.

One way to make it much easier to live without split window (on the
same document or to deal with 2 different docs) would be if there were
a bookmark mechanism coupled with a simple way to toggle back and
forth between the two bookmarks. That is, I'd want to be able to set 2
bookmarks, then bounce on, say, Ctrl-M ('M' for "mark" I suppose,
since Ctrl-B is taken) to zip back and forth between them.

Incidentally, if I click in the left margin of an editing window, I
get a little green plus sign. There's no tooltip for it. What's it
for?

---John