[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Jun 29 18:12:53 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:08:49 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > * doesn't seem crazy about the toggle (at least for changing case of a
> > selection), but then mentions that Ctrl-B could still toggle line
> > commenting.
>
> Well, I don't really care. As long as I can redefine the keys to my own
> preferences I'm happy ;-).

Right. :) But, of course, for features that are currently implemented
as a toggle (comment/uncomment line, mark/unmark line, and transpose
lines (besides the ones that toggle the subwindows and fullscreen)),
users cannot currently redefine them to work like
Ctrl-key/Shift-Ctrl-key. They can only pick a different key that
causes the toggle to happen.

Not a big deal. Works fine as is. Though, it does seem sorta' odd that
Geany provide two separate ways of commenting lines.

> My actual point is:
> I would like to leave Ctrl-U/Ctrl-Shift-U for changing case like it is.
> About the comment/uncomment/comment toggling functions I don't really
> care. We could remove the default bindings for comment/uncomment and
> only set comment toggling to whatever seems well (ok, Scite's Ctrl-Q
> obviously isn't a good choice).

It's interesting to note what other editors use for the key combo to
comment text. Emacs uses Alt-; (semicolon, since that's the comment
character in lisp). I proposed Ctrl-@ (uncomment) and Ctrl-# (comment)
since most scripting languages use '#' for the comment character. Not
sure what NEdit uses. Don't think Gedit has the comment/uncomment
feature.

> > Looking at the key bindings for terminal-based editors, I can see how
> > they were limited by not having certain keys available to them (like
> > not always having the named key (PgUp, PgDn, Delete, etc., or not
> > always being able to use Shift with other modifier keys), so maybe
> > they couldn't always be as consistent as they wanted.
>
> I think being consistent with a terminal-based editor is too difficult
> for a GUI editor.

Sorry for not being clear: I meant that it's difficult for text-mode
editors to be self-consistent, but easier for GUI editors like Geany
to be so.

---John