[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Michael Comperchio mcmprch at xxxxx
Fri Jun 29 15:48:21 UTC 2007

Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:08:49 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Nick,
>>
>> Just to sum up what you wrote:
>>
> Nice, a little summary is really a good idea ;-).
>

>> Also, Enrico
>>
>> * suggested using Alt-I for some special indentation behaviour he has
>> in mind.
>>
> No. Alt-I was just an idea but as we noticed Alt should be avoided to
> not conflict with GUI elements. So, maybe Alt-Shift-I could be used or
> something else.
>

>> * doesn't seem crazy about the toggle (at least for changing case of a
>> selection), but then mentions that Ctrl-B could still toggle line
>> commenting.
>>
> Well, I don't really care. As long as I can redefine the keys to my own
> preferences I'm happy ;-).
> My actual point is:
> I would like to leave Ctrl-U/Ctrl-Shift-U for changing case like it is.
> About the comment/uncomment/comment toggling functions I don't really
> care. We could remove the default bindings for comment/uncomment and
> only set comment toggling to whatever seems well (ok, Scite's Ctrl-Q
> obviously isn't a good choice).
>

>> It sounds like what you're saying is that you don't see that as much
>> of a concern (maybe it isn't -- it just seems so to me :) ).
>>
> At least not until this thread ;-). Anyway, it is good to talk about it
> and to improve Geany by this.
>

>> Looking at the key bindings for terminal-based editors, I can see how
>> they were limited by not having certain keys available to them (like
>> not always having the named key (PgUp, PgDn, Delete, etc., or not
>> always being able to use Shift with other modifier keys), so maybe
>> they couldn't always be as consistent as they wanted.
>>
> I think being consistent with a terminal-based editor is too difficult
> for a GUI editor. Only think of the Alt key, which is AFAIK completely
> available in non-graphical environments but almost can't be used in GUI
> apps. Small example: the Midnight Commander uses Alt-Tab for
> shell-like tab completion. Nice feature but completely unusable if you
> use mc in a terminal window under X because there Alt-Tab is used for
> cycling between open windows. Ok, obviously mc wasn't written for
> graphical environments but it shows this consistency would be very hard.
> IMO we should be consistent with other GUI apps and maybe Emacs as far
> as it is possible (hopefully nobody comes up who likes vi ;-)).
>
> Regards,
> Enrico

I like geany and use it on both windows and Linux for pretty much all my
miscellaneous editting. I've been following this thread and here's my
two cents. Many years ago when I first started writing GUI code
(OS/2...late 80's) we were required to adhere to CUA standards. These
have since become pretty much de-facto among GUI applications. My
fingers just seem to do them. Seaching on WikiPedia gave me this list of
keystrokes :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts

Everyone has their own favorites, or wants, but it makes sense in the
bigger picture to have default values that conform, new users are likely
to try a program with non-standard keys, and discard it as having too
steep a learning curve otherwise.

My Two Cents...

Michael