[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Wed Jun 27 20:47:02 UTC 2007

On 6/27/07, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/27/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> > Yes, we need a solution for this. The easiest way would be to always
> > indent by tab in Makefiles. But it won't help if you are editing any
> > other file and currently need a "real" tab. Any ideas on best way to
> > solve?

> My understanding is that, for users like me who use only spaces (no
> tabs) all the time, we've got the following settings set:
>
> 1. Prefs --> Files tab --> Saving Files --> "replace tabs by space" checked
> 2. Prefs --> Editor tab --> Features --> "use tabs when inserting
> whitespace" un-checked.

For personal projects that I am in complete control over, I will always
prefer spaces over tabs. But sometimes I want to fiddle with a project
belonging to someone else who prefers tabs, so the safest bet for me is
to always leave the Saving Files --> "replace tabs by space"  turned OFF.

It really isn't 100% dependent on the language mode or file type
either, although some programs (like gnu make) insist on tabs,
and some language's coding conventions (like Pascal) generally
frown on tabs. But for C code, the tabs-vs-spaces war will probably
rage on forever.

My suggestion would be to add another checkbox to the prefs dialog,
instead of "Use tabulators when inserting whitespace" there would
be a sub-option, something like:

  [X] Use spaces for indentation.
    -> [X] Tab key still inserts tab char.

So...

With both boxes OFF, both [Tab] and Ctr+I will use tab chars.

With the first box ON, and the second OFF, both [Tab] and Ctr+I use spaces.

With both boxes checked, Ctr+I inserts spaces, and [Tab] inserts a tab char.

 - Jeff