[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Tue Jun 26 18:21:02 UTC 2007

Hello friends, interesting discussion you are having here...

This might be slightly off topic, but here are a couple of things
I would like to see:

1)
The ability to "force" a tab character, even when using spaces to indent:

Most of the C code I work with uses spaces for indentation, but what if I
have a bunch of C files open and then I want to tweak the Makefile a bit?
I have to go into preferences, enable "use tabs" , insert the tab char,
and then go back into preferences and turn tabs off again. I would prefer
that Ctrl+I and Ctrl+Shift+I could be used for normal indentation, and that
the tab key would *always* insert a tab char, regardless of the preferences.

( Nedit actually uses Ctrl+Tab for this, but I suppose Geany's multi-paned
environment needs to reserve Ctrl+Tab for window navigation. )

2)
Completely disable editor hot keys when the editor doesn't have the focus:

For instance, what do most users expect if they press Ctrl+Z in the scribble
window? I would expect it to either perform an undo on the scribble text, or
at least have nothing happen at all. Instead, geany performs the undo in the
main editor window, even though it doesn't have the focus, which seems like a
real good chance to screw up a document without even realizing it.

Another reason for this is that Ctrl+L should clear the screen in VTE, but
instead it brings up the "Go to line" dialog. This is really annoying to me,
since I am so accustomed to using Ctrl+L in xterm, and I expect geany's term
to behave in the same way.

One other comment, as far as the Alt key combos, I also seldom use the menu
accelerators, but for some commands, they are the only alternative to mousing,
for example, Alt+D->I to remove error markers. So I agree that Alt+ or Ctrl+Alt+
should *never* be used as defaults for any other bindings...

 - Jeff