[Geany] Re: Geany Digest, Vol 18, Issue 9

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jun 12 16:51:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:06:55 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 4/24/07, François Cami <fcami at winsoft.fr> wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:32:08 -0400

> > > Well, there's already a "Save As" menu item. What exactly do you
> > > want "Save copy as..." to do, and how would it be different from
> > > "Save As"?
> >
> > "Save As..." opens the saved file afterwards.
> > "Save copy as..." would not open the copy (the original file is
> > still in the editor).
>
> So, you open a file, you make some changes to it and the editor
> indicates that it's been modified but not saved. You choose "Save Copy
> As", pick a file name, and after that new file is saved, the editor is
> still showing you the original file -- still indicating that it's been
> modified and not saved?
>
> If that's the case, I'm not sure what the point is. To get the
> original file back to its previous state, you either have to close it
> and don't save, or else undo your way back. Why wouldn't you just cp
> the original file beforehand, then edit that copy directly?
>
> What I could see maybe being useful would be to add these checkboxes
> to the "Save As" dialog:
>
> [_] Open saved-as file in new tab
> [_] Reload original file
After a long delay, it got added in a similar way:

Since SVN r1612 there are two checkboxes in the Save as dialog:
[ ] Open file in a new tab
[ ] Rename file

So, a saved as file can be easily opened additionally while the
original file is still there.
And a file can be easily renamed to something else and the old one will
be deleted from disk(e.g. useful for renaming Java classes, also closes
#1702822).

Obviously, these options are oppositional and can't be used at the same
time.