[Geany] spaces, tabs and saving

Amir R. Saffari A. A. amirsaffari at xxxxx
Wed Jun 6 16:00:22 UTC 2007

Thanks a lot for making geany one of the best IDEs out there. I have just a feature request which someone had already suggested, but still not implemented yet. It's about replacing tabs with spaces: what geany does is that during the editing the text, it inserts tabs, and when you save the file it converts them to spaces. While this is what replacing means, actually it sometimes messes up the text identation and configuration. Let me give an example here: let's assume that I'm writing the following text (with \t I mean presseing TAB key and we have set the tab to be 2 spaces width):

a\t\t= 1;
b\t\t= 2;
ab\t= 4;

What we expect to see is that = signs are all aligned nicely, which is what happens: a and b have 3 spaces in front while ab has 2.

Now when you save this text, geany replaces all tabs with 2 spaces, this makes the distance of a and b to the = sign as 4, while keeping the number of spaces in front of ab equal to 2. As a result, you lose the alignment you wished to have.

I think the solution is to just take the modular of the number of the where we press the TAB with the tab width and insert that amount of space instead of a fixed amount of it. I'm not familiar at all with geany's source, otherwise I would try to see how I can solve it.

Best Regards
Amir