[Geany] Geany and malloc on AIX 5.3

Michal Kurgan michal.kurgan at xxxxx
Mon Jun 4 16:39:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 15:26:01 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:21:38 +0300, Harri Koskinen
> <geany_fi at fastmonkey.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I just finished compiling Geany on AIX v5.3 and it now works
> > after little tinkering.
> Cool.
>
> > The problem I encountered was that AIX doesn't have a 'malloc'
> > conforming to 'GNU malloc', so configure defines 'malloc' as
> > 'rpl_malloc'. Geany doesn't provide this replacement
> > function so the compiling fails at link time.
> >
> > I bypassed this by editing config.h and Geany seems to work
> > fine with native AIX malloc. But I think the right solution is
> > to provide the replacement function as autoconf documentation
> > suggests. Here's a sample, copy-pasted from the autoconf manual:
>
> Ok, I committed the code in SVN r1596. No idea whether it works because
> I only have a GNU compatible malloc ;-) (at least it compiled cleanly
> after changing HAVE_MALLOC to 0 and defining malloc to rpl_malloc in
> config.h).
>
> Please test it and many thanks for reporting this.

Hello!

I have little comment here, but first i will say that i didn't looked at
sources when writing this.

Geany uses glib and gtk+ that have some extended memory allocation routines.
I think that instead of such malloc override it would be better to use these
provided routines:
 * http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Memory-Allocation.html

Sorry for bothering.

--