[Geany] Building on Windows

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jun 4 14:00:21 UTC 2007

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:17:18 -0700, chuck <ctl at arrowtwins.com> wrote:

> I build Geany for both Windows and Linux.  2 reasons I build my own:
>    1) I like being current, and
>    2) I like (and need) column-mode editing and must apply my
> patch to scintilla to make that happen.
Did you send this patch upstream? Maybe it will be applied.

> BUILDING ON WINDOWS
> I don't use cmd.exe.  It just sucks.
Yes it does ;-). But anyway, for a simple "make -f makefile.win32"
it is sufficient. And since Windows 2000 it has at least a simple tab
auto completion. And I recently noticed, that it can even do
redirection of stdout and stderr with >file and 2>errorfile.

> I use Cygwin for a LOT of my work.
> So...
> I have found a cumbersome way to build on Windows with Cygwin with
> MinGW compiler.  I read the instructions on the Geany web site, and
> downloaded all the necessary libs etc.  I have MinGW installed in a
> directory that preceeds cygwin on the Windows path. Then to build, I
> perform the following steps:
>   1) delete all deps.mak files.
>   2) set PREFIX=/cygdrive/d/<where the libs are>
>   3) run make on each of the 3 build directories - src, scintilla,
> and tagmanager.  Make will fail on all three, after the deps.mak
> files are built. Can't use the drive letter with colon in the PREFIX,
> because that is a path separator and creates unusable deps.mak files.
>
>   4) change PREFIX to d:/<where the libs are>.  (The drive letter
> colon is ok and, in fact, required now for MinGW compiler ).
>   5) re-run make -f makefile.win32 and Geany.exe results.
>
> As I said, it is cumbersome, but it works. If there is a
> better/easier way, please let me know.
Indeed, this is not very nice. On my Windows system I also have cygwin
installed and I have also some troubles when building Geany using MinGW
with cygwin installed. For me, the easiest way is to rename my cygwin
directory during compilation time.
So, when I build Geany on Windows, I do:
- rename c:\cygwin to c:\cygwin2
- build Geany (make -f makefile.win32)
- rename c:\cygwin2 to c:\cygwin

My MinGW environment is installed as described on the website and
completely independent of cygwin and I renamed the make of MinGW(IIRC
called mingw32-make.exe) to make.exe just for comfort.

Another approach could be to build Geany completely inside cygwin. I
did this some time ago and IIRC I didn't need to modify anything.
Obviously, this would result in a binary which depends on the cygwin
dlls.