[Geany] Building on Windows

chuck ctl at xxxxx
Sun Jun 3 22:17:18 UTC 2007

I build Geany for both Windows and Linux.  2 reasons I build my own:
   1) I like being current, and
   2) I like (and need) column-mode editing and must apply my
patch to scintilla to make that happen.

BUILDING ON WINDOWS
I don't use cmd.exe.  It just sucks.
I use Cygwin for a LOT of my work.
So...
I have found a cumbersome way to build on Windows with Cygwin with MinGW
compiler.  I read the instructions on the Geany web site, and downloaded
all the necessary libs etc.  I have MinGW installed in a directory that
preceeds cygwin on the Windows path. Then to build, I perform the
following steps:
  1) delete all deps.mak files.
  2) set PREFIX=/cygdrive/d/<where the libs are>
  3) run make on each of the 3 build directories - src, scintilla, and
tagmanager.  Make will fail on all three, after the deps.mak files are
built. Can't use the drive letter with colon in the PREFIX, because that
is a path separator and creates unusable deps.mak files.

  4) change PREFIX to d:/<where the libs are>.  (The drive letter colon
is ok and, in fact, required now for MinGW compiler ).
  5) re-run make -f makefile.win32 and Geany.exe results.

As I said, it is cumbersome, but it works. If there is a better/easier
way, please let me know.

Geany rocks.

chuck