[Geany] variable declaration in function -> symbol view

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jul 31 18:16:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:33:34 +0200, Harold Aling <h.aling at home.nl>
wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:11:07 +0100, Nick Treleaven
> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On 07/31/2007 12:49:56 PM, Harold Aling wrote:
> >> Dear list,
> >>
> >> When declaring variables in a function declaration, those variables
> >> aren't added to the symbol list...
> >>
> >> For example:
> >>
> >> <?php
> >> function addVariable($bVar) {
> >>   //do stuff
> >> }
> >> ?>
> >>
> >> $bVar should be added to the list, but isn't.
> >>
> > I don't use PHP, but for nearly all the other filetypes local
> > variables aren't parsed by Geany. If they were, the symbol list
> > would get too big (e.g. a lot of 'i' entries).
>
> Geany does add local variables (declared within a function
Nick was right, in most languages Geany(or better tagmanager) won't add
local variables to the symbol list. PHP is just one of the
exceptions ;-).

> $bVar = true;
> function setVar() {
>   $bVar = true;
> }
>
> adds 2 'bVar' variables to the symbol viewer with different line
> numbers. This is IMHO the correct behavior.
IMO not.

> Declaring a variable in the function declaration doesn't add these
> variables to the symbol viewer. IHMO(again) that's an inconsistent
> behavior...
Yes but it is at all not a really a Geany bug but a bug in the PHP
parser of tagmanager/CTags (see tagmanager/php.c).
There are two possiblities:
- add the desired feature to the current parser(tagmanager/php.c),
should not be that difficult
- check whether the current CTags PHP parser supports the feature and
if so, backport it to tagmanager(it doesn't work without some more
work because there is something broken in regex.c, IIRC) and if not,
open a feature request to CTags tracker and request it and when it got
implemented get it working in Geany (see above ;-))