[Geany] Feature-Request: Different DISPLAY and EDIT tab widths

Walery Studennikov despair at xxxxx
Fri Jul 27 12:33:47 UTC 2007

Hello.

I'm very fond of Geany, but there is still one big inconvenience
for me (and for most people using 4-spaces indent):

Lyrical digression:
    The standard indentation width for Perl (see perlstyle) is 4 spaces.
    Most of the CPAN modules are written using this rule.

In Geany it is VERY inconvenient to use 4-space indentations.
If I change TAB width to 4 spaces then all tabs are DISPLAYED
as 4 spaces.
So, well-formatted documents, created assuming standard 8-space tabs,
becomes twisted and hardly readable.
So, I can't just set 4-spaces (or any other value besides 8)
as tab width in Geany.

It will be very convenient if there will be 2 separate settings
for DISPLAY and EDIT tab width.

So, I can leave DISPLAY TAB WIDTH 8 spaces
and set EDIT TAB WIDTH to 4 spaces.

* * *

Also, there is one more solution for the people using 4-space indentation.
This feature is called HALF-TAB.
Here is a quote from Midnight Commander editor (mcedit) manual page:
"This will emulate a half tab for those who want to program with a tab
spacing of 4, but do not want the tab size changed from 8 (so that the
code will be formatted the same when displayed by other programs). When
editing between text and the left margin, moving and tabbing will be as
though a tab space were 4, while actually using spaces and normal tabs
for an optimal fill. When editing anywhere else, a normal tab is inserted."

So mcedit-like half tabs is another solution for the problem.

--

Regards, Walery Studennikov,
CTO of Domain Names Registrar REG.RU Ltd.