[Geany] [Patch] support for icons in symbols tree

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jul 22 14:42:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:38:15 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 07/19/2007 01:01:17 PM, Jean-François Wauthy wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I put together a patch that adds icons in the symbol treeview.
>
> Thanks for the patch, looks great! Just added in SVN.
I'm not sure whether it is a problem on my installation or it is a
general bug:
when Geany is installed in a non-standard prefix
(here: --prefix=/home/enrico/apps) then Geany won't find the icons
because /home/enrico/apps/share/icons is not in the icon search path of
the GTK default theme.
So, to work around it I just committed a fix which adds
PACKAGE_DATA_DIR "/icons" (where
PACKAGE_DATA_DIR is e.g. /home/enrico/apps/share) to the icon search
path. This works for me. But maybe there is a cleaner way to get it
working? Some GTK settings?

Anyway, I moved the code to query the GTK default icon theme so that it
is ran only once to improve the startup speed of Geany because I
noticed a significant slowdown while starting Geany ;-(.
It seems to be much better now. So, Jean-François why did you use the
GTK icon theme API to load the icons? Is there any big advantage? Maybe
when we just load the images manually and set them to the tree store it
might be faster.