[Geany] small usability suggestion

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jul 19 17:33:45 UTC 2007

On 7/19/07, Lee Underwood <leeu at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:27:59 +0100 Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>

> | This has recently been added to SVN ;-)
> |
> | Regards,
> | Nick
>

> I'm not familiar with "SVN". Judging by it's name is this like a beta version that's still in testing?

Hi Lee,

"SVN" is short for "Subversion", the name of the version control
software that the developers use to keep track of source code changes
to Geany. The latest "release" of Geany is a version of Geany from a
short while back that was deemed stable enough to release. To run the
cutting-edge version, you need to get the source code directly from
svn and build it yourself.

Every time Enrico or Nick make a change to Geany, lots of folks go and
grab those most recent changes (via svn), and rebuild Geany on their
machines to try out those changes.

Some brief instructions for this are at
http://geany.uvena.de/Download/SVN . See also the README and INSTALL
files in the source code distribution.