[Geany] tab, the triangle clicky widgets bug, and Ctrl-PgUp / Ctrl-PgDn

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jul 17 16:05:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:44:51 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > - "Placement of new file tabs" -> Left
> >   Alt-1 switches to the most right(first opened) document
> >   Alt-2 switches to the left of the most right(second opened)
> > document ...
> >   Alt-0 switches to the most left(last opened) document
>
> Eeek. Ok, I get it now. I thought using the '1' and '0' keys was easy
> to remember because '1' is all the way on the left (Alt-1 sends you to
> left-most tab) and '0' is all the way on the right (Alt-0 sends you to
> right-most tab). Having them work backwards just because new tabs get
> opened on the left (instead of the right) seems very odd to me. I
> think it would be a mistake to make that behaviour the default.
I don't think so because if you expect Alt-1 for the first opened doc
and Alt-0 for the last opened one then it makes more sense to invert
the behaviour according to the tabs placement setting.
Anyway, the last months nobody comlained and I can also live with the
current behaviour so we don't have to change it (and when I'm
starting to feel really uncomfortable with the behaviour I know how
to change it for me ;-)).

> Incidentally, since I'm already using Ctrl keys (Ctrl-Pg{Up,Dn} and
> Ctrl-Tab) to move between tabs, it feels a bit weird to also use the
> Alt key (Alt-1, Alt-0, etc.) to move between tabs. My bet is that
> Shift-Ctrl-Pg{Up,Dn} would be more natural for going to
> {left-,right-}most tabs, respectively. My guess is that users rarely,
> if at all, use the Alt-number keys besides Alt-1 and Alt-0 (though I'm
> sure you'd be curious to hear if anyone is).
Well, at least me uses it and the feature was requested by someone via
the feature request tracker at sf.net so chances are high enough there
is someone else besides me ;-).