[Geany] tab, the triangle clicky widgets bug, and Ctrl-PgUp / Ctrl-PgDn

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Mon Jul 16 17:44:51 UTC 2007

On 7/16/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:39:17 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > Enrico, I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding you. Could you please
> > explain what you meant by "perhaps this could be inverted (tabs 1-9
> > from left to right, and most right tab to most left tab) according to
> > the 'Placement of new file tabs' option."?
>
> I guessed it could be hard to understand for others because it was hard
> to me to express it ;-).
> I try again:
> Currently, pressing Alt-1 switches to the most left document. Alt-1

Alt-2

> the document right of the most left one and so on.
> Alt-0 switches to the most right document.

Right. This current setup makes sense to me, though I don't think I'd
ever use any of those keys except Alt-1 and Alt-0. The others I'd just
get to with Ctrl-Pg{Up,Dn}, or else with the mouse.

> You know about "Placement of new file tabs" option? It defines whether
> new file tabs are placed on the left or right edge of the notebook.

Ah. Yes. I'd only ever left that set to place new tabs on the right.

> The idea was to change the behaviour of the Alt-number shortcuts
> according to the setting of "Placement of new file tabs".
>
> That is, when using
> - "Placement of new file tabs" -> Right
>   Alt-1 switches to the most left(first opened) document
>   Alt-2 switches to the right of the most left(second opened) document
>   Alt-0 switches to the most right(last opened) document

Yes. Just as it does currently.

> - "Placement of new file tabs" -> Left
>   Alt-1 switches to the most right(first opened) document
>   Alt-2 switches to the left of the most right(second opened) document
>   Alt-0 switches to the most left(last opened) document

Eeek. Ok, I get it now. I thought using the '1' and '0' keys was easy
to remember because '1' is all the way on the left (Alt-1 sends you to
left-most tab) and '0' is all the way on the right (Alt-0 sends you to
right-most tab). Having them work backwards just because new tabs get
opened on the left (instead of the right) seems very odd to me. I
think it would be a mistake to make that behaviour the default.

Incidentally, since I'm already using Ctrl keys (Ctrl-Pg{Up,Dn} and
Ctrl-Tab) to move between tabs, it feels a bit weird to also use the
Alt key (Alt-1, Alt-0, etc.) to move between tabs. My bet is that
Shift-Ctrl-Pg{Up,Dn} would be more natural for going to
{left-,right-}most tabs, respectively. My guess is that users rarely,
if at all, use the Alt-number keys besides Alt-1 and Alt-0 (though I'm
sure you'd be curious to hear if anyone is).

---John