[Geany] "File Saved" status bar message

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Mon Jul 16 13:17:30 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> I'm sorry. I didn't read your mail carefully enough :(.
> I thought we are talking about the status window.

My bad, really, I had a feeling that mail was a little confusing.

> So, there are three possible solutions:
> a) just skip the file saved message in the status bar
> (not in the status window)
> b) skip all file action related messages in the status bar
> (not in the status window)
> c) add a preference to suppress all status messages in the
> status bar (also messages about find results and similars)
> I would prefer solution a or b.

Not to sound contrary, but I really think "c" is the best solution. I don't
know of any other GUI editor that overrides the line/column indicator every
time it has something else to say. Also, it took me some time of using Geany
before I even noticed the "search term not found" message in the status bar,
and I still catch myself clicking the "find" button over and over and wondering
what just happened, expecting to get a "not found" message box like I do with
most other editors.

So to put it another way, I think the line/column indicators should have their
very own "reserved" parking space, that failed searches should have their own
prominent dialog box, and that file saved/opened/created messages are of very
little interest to most users, unless of course the operation failed for some
reason.

 - Jeff