[Geany] "File Saved" status bar message

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jul 12 15:58:26 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Jean-Philippe <skateinmars at skateinmars.net> wrote:
> John Gabriele a écrit :
> > On 7/12/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:57:51 -0500, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
> >> <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >> I like the short(one second) display of status messages in the status
> >> bar and I don't want to remove it.
> >
> > When I save a file, that status bar "File ... saved" message appears
> > and doesn't go away until I hit an arrow key. I'm not seeing a one
> > second delay anywhere.
> I tried it and I saw you need to wait for a delay _and_ hit a key or
> move the text cursor.
> I think this could be better if you can wait _or_ hit a key to suppress
> the message.
> >
> >> Anyway, I agree that the file saved
> >> message isn't that useful at this point. Maybe all file action related
> >> messages could be skipped.
> >> So, there are three possible solutions:
> >> a) just skip the file saved message in the status bar (not in the
> >> status window)
> >> b) skip all file action related messages in the status bar (not in the
> >> status window)
> >> c) add a preference to suppress all status messages in the status bar
> >> (also messages about find results and similars)
> >>
> >> I would prefer solution a or b.
> >
> > Just my 2 cents, but for consistency and also for avoiding too much
> > redundancy, I like (b).
>
> I also think a preference is welcome. Let me explain myself.
> Sometimes I work with several files and I need to make some minor
> changes like changing the charset of the file. In this case I'd like not
> to get a confirmation message as I need to see the charset of each file.
>
> Sometimes I also need to make changes on a config file for example, and
> in this case I like to get the saving confirmation message.

Jean-Phillipe, are you talking about the status *bar* or the status *window*?

Seems to me that since Geany has a status window, it makes sense to
always get useful messages in that status window, and use the status
bar only for what it already displays by default (line, column,
characters selected, encoding, and so on).

However, since users can toggle visibility of the message window,
maybe have the status bar display extra messages only when the message
window is not visible?

BTW, I notice that the status bar says "MOD" when the file has
modified. This is in addition to the name in the tab being colored
red, and the asterisk appearing in Geany's title bar. Anyway, a small
bug/inconsistency: although the name also appears in red in the Open
Files tab in the sidebar, it turns black when it's the one that's
selected. I think it should stay red, like the text in the tab.

---John