[Geany] inserting unicode characters

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Wed Jul 11 18:32:53 UTC 2007

I'm using an american keyboard with Geany, but have recently been
wanting to type in some unicode characters.

I don't have an AltGr key on my keyboard, nor do I have any special
keys that I can spare to use as a Compose key (I know, most keyboards
have a "Windows" key which folks probably usually use for this
purpose, but that key is not easily accessible on my keyboard).

After a bit of searching, I found that the common way to get unicode
characters (with Gnome anyway) is to hit Shift-Ctrl-U, release, then
type in the hex digits representing the unicode code point, then hit
Enter. This works nicely on Gedit, and in Firefox too: for example: è,
é, ê.

In Geany, to get that to work, first I have to give up using
Shift-Ctrl-U for dealing with case (I don't need this feature often
anyway, and besides, there's always the menu item for it). Once
Shift-Ctrl-U is unmapped though, it still doesn't work well. Geany
wants me to *hold down* Shift-Ctrl-U while I type the hex digits
(which requires some finger acrobatics), and then when I'm done,
although hitting Enter gives me the character I wanted, it also
inserts a newline into my file.

I think it would be great if I could enter unicode characters in Geany
the same way as with Firefox, Gedit, the Gimp, the Gnome dictionary
applet, Gaim, etc.

Thanks,
---John