Basic plugin support (was Re: [Geany] Love the recent changes.)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Jul 11 15:19:52 UTC 2007

On 07/11/2007 03:51:12 AM, John Gabriele wrote:
> On 7/10/07, chuck <ctl at arrowtwins.com> wrote:
>> Thanks to Harold for his wishlist and thanks to Enrico for
>> implementing...
>>
>> I have a wishlist item too.  jEdit has a plugin called TaskList which
>> inspects each file periodically (actually only at save time) to look
>> for
>> special comments:  [snip]
>
> Interestingly enough, it looks like Nick has recently been
> implementing a plugin system for Geany. Have a look at the ChangeLog
> entry from 2007-07-04. I've been told that, currently, plugins must be
> written in C, but there's a possibility of optionally using something
> like Python for them down the road.

Indeed, I was going to add some common functions to the plugin API
before announcing it, but anyone interested should see the HACKING file
in SVN, as it has some brief notes about it. For now there's a Demo
plugin and the Class Builder tool has been converted to a plugin.

I predict that (at least at first) most new plugins will need to also
extend the plugin API, so as usual, patches welcome ;-)

So people can start writing plugins now, but don't be too ambitious.
The plugin system is supposed to be fairly lightweight, it isn't
designed to allow heavy customization. And for now, the API is only in
C.

Also I haven't upgraded the Windows makefiles for plugin support, I'll
try to do this soon.

Regards,
Nick