[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Jul 6 10:54:15 UTC 2007

On 07/05/2007 05:04:56 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 20:20:45 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> > Also, since now Ctrl-G would be freed up, even though I know you
> > prefer F3 for "find again" (and Shift-F3 for "find previous"), it's
> > pretty standard to use Ctrl-G and Shift-Ctrl-G for that (Mac OS X,
> > KDE, and Gnome). MS Windows is the only one who uses F3 for it. And
> > Ctrl-G really is easier to hit than an F_key without looking away
> from
> > the keyboard. Shift-F3 is even harder to hit. :) {ducks}
> Hmm, it really seems to be more default to have Ctrl-(Shift-)G for
> Find
> Next/Previous. I didn't know that and until now only saw F3/Shift-F3.
> We could change it if Nick will agree.

Well I prefer F3, but if ctrl-g is more widely known among *nix users,
I don't mind if it's changed.

> > As long as we're looking at the Gnome HIG and the CUA standards, it
> > looks like most apps use Ctrl-D instead of Ctrl-M to deal with
> > bookmarks. I think Ctrl-M is usually reserved for hopping between
> > *m*atching bracket characters (parentheses, brackets, braces, angle
> > brackets). If you went with that, you could possibly switch
> > "Duplicate" to Shift-Alt-C (for *c*opy). This seems reasonable to
> me,
> > since it's probably much more common to toggle bookmarks and toggle
> > between matching brackets than duplicating selected text.
> Oh please not. Switching between matching braces is nice but at least
> use it very rare. But I use duplicating lines/selection very very
> often
> and I assume I get pain in my fingers if we change Duplicate to
> Shift-Alt-C ;-).

I tend to use duplicate about the same as the other commands mentioned,
and I prefer Ctrl-D. I would argue that markers are different from
browser-like bookmarks, but maybe I'm being pedantic.

Regards,
Nick