[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Jul 4 15:17:25 UTC 2007

On 07/04/2007 04:03:27 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:12:53 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 6/29/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> case
> toggle
> > >
> > > Well, I don't really care. As long as I can redefine the keys to
> my
> > > own preferences I'm happy ;-).
> >
> > Right. :) But, of course, for features that are currently
> implemented
> > as a toggle (comment/uncomment line, mark/unmark line, and transpose
> > lines (besides the ones that toggle the subwindows and fullscreen)),
> > users cannot currently redefine them to work like
> > Ctrl-key/Shift-Ctrl-key. They can only pick a different key that
> > causes the toggle to happen.
> Is this necessary? Don't get me wrong but do we have to provide every
> single possibility? I don't think we need the possibility also to
> change
> the behaviour of certain keybindings. Geany is not Emacs ;-).

I also don't think we should do that. I think there's no need for two
separate keybindings if one toggle binding can do it.

For me I prefer having the default keybindings as useful as possible,
rather than as consistent as possible. As long as there's a good reason
to go against consistency I think that's fine.

> [...]
> What about my suggestion to only use a keybinding (by default) for
> comment toggling, e.g. Ctrl-G or Ctrl-B (these ones are not yet used
> for anything else and are available on all keyboard layouts in the
> same way)?

Maybe we could use Ctrl-E now that Replace will be changed to Ctrl-H,
because commEnt has an E in it I'd find that easier to remember than
ctrl-b or ctrl-g, and ctrl-e can be done with one hand ;-)

Regards,
Nick