[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jul 4 15:03:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:12:53 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 6/29/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:08:49 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> > <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > * doesn't seem crazy about the toggle (at least for changing case
> > > of a selection), but then mentions that Ctrl-B could still toggle
> > > line commenting.
> >
> > Well, I don't really care. As long as I can redefine the keys to my
> > own preferences I'm happy ;-).
>
> Right. :) But, of course, for features that are currently implemented
> as a toggle (comment/uncomment line, mark/unmark line, and transpose
> lines (besides the ones that toggle the subwindows and fullscreen)),
> users cannot currently redefine them to work like
> Ctrl-key/Shift-Ctrl-key. They can only pick a different key that
> causes the toggle to happen.
Is this necessary? Don't get me wrong but do we have to provide every
single possibility? I don't think we need the possibility also to change
the behaviour of certain keybindings. Geany is not Emacs ;-).

> > My actual point is:
> > I would like to leave Ctrl-U/Ctrl-Shift-U for changing case like it
> > is. About the comment/uncomment/comment toggling functions I don't
> > really care. We could remove the default bindings for
> > comment/uncomment and only set comment toggling to whatever seems
> > well (ok, Scite's Ctrl-Q obviously isn't a good choice).
>
> It's interesting to note what other editors use for the key combo to
> comment text. Emacs uses Alt-; (semicolon, since that's the comment
> character in lisp). I proposed Ctrl-@ (uncomment) and Ctrl-# (comment)
> since most scripting languages use '#' for the comment character. Not
> sure what NEdit uses. Don't think Gedit has the comment/uncomment
> feature.
Ctrl-@ is bad for at least QWERTZ keyboard layouts (need to press
Ctrl-Alt GR-Q, Alt GR is right of the space key where US keyboards
only have a second ALT key). IMO this is quite uncomfortable.
Ctrl-# would be fine for me but I guess there are keyboard layouts
where it isn't as easy to press as it is on QWERTZ or QWERTY.
What about my suggestion to only use a keybinding (by default) for
comment toggling, e.g. Ctrl-G or Ctrl-B (these ones are not yet used
for anything else and are available on all keyboard layouts in the
same way)?

> > > Looking at the key bindings for terminal-based editors, I can see
> > > how they were limited by not having certain keys available to
> > > them (like not always having the named key (PgUp, PgDn, Delete,
> > > etc., or not always being able to use Shift with other modifier
> > > keys), so maybe they couldn't always be as consistent as they
> > > wanted.
> >
> > I think being consistent with a terminal-based editor is too
> > difficult for a GUI editor.
>
> Sorry for not being clear: I meant that it's difficult for text-mode
You were, I didn't read carefully enough ;-).