[Geany] Patch: "pref_editor_use_tabs"

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Thu Jan 11 18:36:33 UTC 2007

Hello, list -

I have only been using geany for a couple of days,
but I am very impressed so far, nice work!

I am a long-time and mostly happy NEdit user, but sadly,
the last official release was over two years ago and it
appears that any further development has just about
stalled completely.

So after much searching for a lightweight and powerful text
editor I found geany, and it looks like it is *almost*
exactly what I wanted.

There are still a few things I miss about nedit, but
hopefully most of these are either some geany features
I haven't discovered yet, or things I can learn to live
without, or features that can be easily added. Or maybe
geany has a better way to accomplish the same tasks!

On of the first things I noticed is that there doesn't seem
to be a way to indent a block of text using spaces instead
of tabs.

It looks like someone else has already requested this:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1585073&group_id=153444&atid=787794

Here is a patch that adds a "pref_editor_use_tabs" option.
It defaults to TRUE (same as the current behavior) but
setting it to FALSE will make the editor use spaces instead.

This patch doesn't include the UI, so you will need to edit
the ~/.geany/geany.conf file manually to enable the option,
but if the patch is accepted, maybe I can add another checkbox
to the preferences dialog?

 - Jeff