[Geany] Project additions to Geany

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Feb 21 12:39:23 UTC 2007

On 02/19/2007 02:47:29 PM, P.J.G. Long wrote:
> I have been down loading the SVN tarballs and seeing that the Project
> additions are beginning to be added. As indicated in a previous email
> I have an interest in using Geany as a IDE for our undergraduates,
> hopefully giving a single editor with a simple gui that can be used,
> at least for the first year or so, for a number of different
> languages, typically C/C++/Assembler/Octave/Matlab/Basic and possibly
> Latex. One thing I am interested in doing is running c/c++ both
> locally and cross compiled and wondered if anything like this planned
> for your project management, i.e. the understanding of different
> target directories for different architectures.
We're not planning on extending the build system, but we will add
support for a project root directory and a project executable.
For a build procedure any more complicated than a compile and link, I
would suggest using a Makefile. In your case perhaps you could write a
default target for the Makefile that builds the code for Linux and a
special target, say 'make arm' that builds for the ARM based
microcontroller. Then you could use the 'Make Custom' command with the
'arm' argument to cross-compile.

> [...]
> Also if anyone is using or planning to use Geany for teaching and if
> anyone had written any suitable documentation before we 're-invent
> the wheel'.
We welcome any documentation sent to us for the manual or any tutorials
we can link to on the website. I'm not aware of any tutorials yet.

There was a short message that mentioned using 'Geany to write small
programs with my students', but I don't know what happened after that.
http://lists.uvena.de/pipermail/geany/2006-January/000037.html

I'd be interested to know how you get on with Geany, and which things
could be improved. We are unlikely to implement big feature changes
however (although in the medium-term a plugin system is planned).

Regards,
Nick