[Geany] looking for these features

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Sun Feb 18 08:15:11 UTC 2007

On 2/18/07, Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think just adding something like the "Filter Selection" option of NEdit
> would go a long way to solving issues like this. You can select some text,
> pipe it into an external command or shell script, and replace the selection
> with the output of the command.
>
> For instance, you could use something like this perl script to emulate
> the "Justify Paragraph" option:
>  http://directory.fsf.org/all/rewrap.html
>
> But "Filter Selection"  would also allow for all sorts of other user-specific
> filters, without adding a lot of bloat to Geany, almost like a sort of "plugin> or "macro"

Jeff, that would be a really excellent and generally useful feature to
have. Especially if there were a mechanism to bind a key combination
to it.

I'd love to be able to assign a key combo that would pipe the selected
text through a given script, replacing said text with the script's
output. This opens up possibilities such as spell-checking, numbering
lines, putting special symbols around paragraphs (like comment boxing,
or quoting for email replies), etc.

I'm not familiar with the Geany codebase, haven't touched C in years,
and my free time is hovering around 0 at the moment. Seems like it
would be a simple feature to add, but I don't think I'm currently up
for the task.

Would any of the core developers care to offer some tips here on how
they'd go about adding such a feature? Which files would you look at
first, and why? Is there a "new developer's guide and overview" tucked
away anywhere? :)

Thanks,
---John