[Geany] looking for these features

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Sat Feb 17 18:34:54 UTC 2007

On 2/17/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 02/16/2007 09:38:38 PM, John Gabriele wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm curious if Geany has (or has plans to add) the following features:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > * Can "Construct autocompletion" be customized?
> This is on the TODO list.

Whoops. Thanks.

> > * Does Geany have a justify paragraph (aka "fill paragraph") feature?
> > It would be sometimes helpful to be able to justify to whatever the
> > "long line marker" is set to.
> do   you   mean   like   this?

No, not putting in any extra spaces. Sorry -- "justify paragraph" is
probably an ambiguous term. I meant, if you've got a paragraph of
text, with lines of varying length (or maybe it's just one big long
wrapped line), I'd like to be able to have the editor add in and/or
move around newlines to make the lines all about n characters long.
This comes up for me when writing docs in code. I keep going back to
the docs to update them, but when I do, it goofs up line lengths, and
I have to even the lines up again to make it look nice. It's a real
pain that I think the editor should take care of for me. Emacs does it
with M-q. NEdit does it with Ctrl-J. I use this feature a lot.

> Personally I'm not sure that fits in a text editor, at least for now.

Agreed.

> > Also, an idea: it might be more clear to rename "Line Wrapping" (both
> > in the Document menu and Edit --> Prefs --> Editor tab) to "Display
> > lines wrapped". Hmm... Is there a separate term for when the editor
> I think line wrapping is the usual term.
>
> > inserts newlines automatically for you as you type long lines? Maybe
> > just distinguish between these two sorts of features in the popup
> > help?
> NEdit has a wrap mode called 'Auto Newline'. Alternatively we could use
> 'Word Wrapping'.

Ah yes, Auto Newline. I don't find this feature useful. It's very
difficult to get it to behave right in all circumstances. I much
prefer just typing away, and then manually doing the
fill-paragraph/justify when I want to even up the current paragraph.

I suppose the original point I was trying to get at was that the popup
help should probably explicitly say that Line Wrapping has to do with
*display*, and not actually putting in newline characters for the user
(like an Auto Newline feature would do).

> I think this would be a useful feature when writing XML-like content or
> plaintext. I looked at doing this a while ago but it's not directly
> supported by Scintilla. I'll put it on the TODO list.

Uh oh. Please don't put in auto newline on account of me! I'd much
prefer fill/justify paragraph. :)

Thanks,
---John