[Geany] Recent Windows changes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Dec 31 12:48:12 UTC 2007

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:00:05 -0600
"Jeff Pohlmeyer" <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> The debug console for windows is very cool, and I really like
Hehe yes. It was so annoying when testing some code and you never get
any messages or warnings, so I looked for a workaround and adding a new
console window was the easiest way without adding tons of new code.

> the more consistent config path for my lua scripts.
We should have done this much earlier. We writing the first Windows
code I didn't take much care about all that because I only wanted to
get it running, and then I never touched the code again. The code
itself was taken from Sylpheed, hehe.

> But when I try to run on Windows 98,
> I get an error message:
>  "GEANY.EXE is linked to missing export SHELL32:SHGetFolderPathA"
>
> After a little googling I found this page:
>   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241733
>
> The page says:
> "To use SHGetFolderPath on Windows 95 or Windows 98,
> you must redistribute the SHFolder.dll file along
> with the migration DLL."
Yes, I read about that while adding the code but I forgot it again
(or maybe I hoped nobody uses Win9x anymore ;-)).

> So here is what I did to fix it:
> On line 82 of src/makefile.win32, add -lshfolder to the linker flags.
> ( Note that -lshfolder has to come *before* -lshell32 )
>
> After that, everything seems to be working -
>
> I compiled and ran it on Win98, and tested the same exe on Win2K,
> Then I compiled and ran it on Win2K, and tested that exe on Win98.
>

> So I think it should be safe to add the -lshfolder flag permanently?
Yes, I'll add it within the next days.

But what about the shfolder.dll? Should we and are we allowed to
redistribute it with Geany(dunno about all the licencing stuff).
Or should we just mention it in the README file with a link to the
Microsoft site (I really hope there aren't that much Win9x users out
there)?

regards,
Enrico

P.S.: to all non-English readers: if you visit Microsoft's knowledge
base websites, they properly provide a translated version according to
your browsers language. This is generally nice and a good idea. But at
least most of the German translations(automatically translated by
software) are only funny and if you want to know what they are talking
about reading the original English version is much better ;-).