[Geany] project support

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Dec 30 13:57:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:56:28 +0200, Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 03:09:00PM +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 14:00:20 +0200, Yura Siamashka
> > <yurand2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Also it is just me but I have to work with a lot of small projects
> > > and all this "Open/Close" commands are annoying.
> > >
> > > That is the problem.
> > >
> > > Now about solution:
> > >
> > > For example we have 2 projects "a", "c" and file without project
> > > plans.txt:
> > >
> > > ~/projects/a/a.c
> > > ~/projects/a/.geanyprj
> > > ~/projects/a/nested/b.c
> > > ~/projects/c/c.c
> > > ~/projects/c/.geanyprj
> > > ~/plans.txt
> > >
> > > if you open or change current tab to ~/projects/c/c.c geany will
> > > close project "a" and open ~/projects/c/.geanyprj as current
> > > project.
> > >
> > > if you open plans.txt it should just close current project.
> > IMO this shouldn't happen because then a project is closed everytime
> > the user loads a file which doesn't belong to the project. This
> > would probably more confuse than help.
>
> Here is why I need it.
>
> At work I develop custom linux distributive, it have a lot of
> packages:
>
> ./scripts/unittests.sh
> ./scripts/build-image.sh
> ./packages/a/src/a.c
> ./packages/a/makefile
> ./packages/b/src/b.c
> ./packages/b/makefile
>
> Usually after changing something in package "a", I want to run
> scripts that doesn't belong to "a" (unittests.sh).
>
> So the idea is: While I change something in package "a", I execute
> "a" on F5, run makefile from ./packages/a (enjoy all good stuff
> project manager provide), when I edit something in "b" F5 will run
> "b". But when I switch to ./scripts/unittests.sh, I expect F5 to run
> unit tests for all projects. And I want it all without manually
> open/close projects.
Ok, this would indeed need some changes in the current implementation.
Maybe we could add a separate run command just for projects. But not
sure whether this is commonly needed.

> > > I am going to implement this as plugin. Any comments?
> > Why doing this against us? Why implementing it improved porject
> > support with us? Whether as a plugin which extends current features
> > or by adding new features directly in Geany(by patches and/or svn
> > write access).
> I do not do this against you and in fact I really can't. "go to tag"
> feature surelly will require a lot of geany changes. The reasons why
> I don't want to  mess with project manager code in geany tree are:
>
> 1) My view of project manager is different from yours. I don't want
> to argue or try to convince anyone that my view is better until I
> have something working to show.
> 2) If I just send patches to you it takes too much time to get them
> in geany tree. (I expect a lot of them, and since 1) you probably
> will not want to apply some of them)
> 3) I can't just extend current proj management because some of it's
> the features conflict with my view. (For example I don't think close
> tabs on project close is good idea).
>
> I don't say my project view is necessery better then current for
> anyone, it is just different. That is why "alternative project
> support".
Ok, I'm getting convinced and I'm excited how it will be. Maybe we can
move parts from it later to back into Geany or whatever.