[Geany] Adding New Languages/Filetypes

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Tue Dec 25 13:31:30 UTC 2007

Hi Faustin,

This question comes up a lot. Maybe there should be a short faq page
on the Geany site, in addition to the manual.

Geany uses the Scintilla component for its filetype-specific stuff --
which includes syntax highlighting. If you want to add a new filetype,
it means you need to write a Scintilla lexer for it. That's done in
C++. Of course, to get a new filetype in Emacs, you also need to write
it yourself -- but in elisp instead of C++.

This is in contrast to another well-known GTK+ editor, gEdit, which
does not use Scintilla, and (I think) uses XML files and regexen to
create new filetypes. Not sure how well their system works out in
practice.

I think Geany includes all the available Scintilla lexers, so if it's
not in Geany, it's very likely not readily available with Scintilla
itself. You might inquire on the Scintilla ML if anyone is working on
one, and if not, you might endeavor to write one yourself.

---John